Are you passionate about how Neurologic Music Therapy can improve quality of life?
Do you believe that constantly learning and growing is the key to success?
Do you honestly believe in the inherent potential of every individual despite challenges, disabilities, and/or circumstance?
Do you thrive in an environment in which you can openly share ideas, concerns, and perspective, working collaboratively within a supportive team model that celebrates accomplishments?
Do you love to be innovative in your work?
Are you driven to make our communities stronger?
If all of the above are true for you
we would love for you to apply!
Living Spirit Therapy Services, LLC is looking for an hourly, full-time, benefited employee to join our dynamic, growing team serving the Twin Cities metro area of MN.
The anticipated start date is May or June 2021. However, you could possibly start earlier if you are open to a more gradual building of a caseload.
Living Spirit Therapy Services, LLC is a music therapy private practice serving individuals and groups throughout the community. At this time, we are facilitating sessions via telehealth and in person; as well as creating asynchronous content to support our community. Due to the unpredictability of COVID, candidates must be flexible, able to adapt to changing situations, be willing to see clients both via telehealth and in person, and have good self-care strategies (our Empowering Wellness Initiative can help with this if you are looking for more!).
All team members must be Neurologic Music Therapists and maintain this standing. If you haven’t done this training yet you are welcome you can do so within the first 6 months of hire. Our practice specializes in services for individuals with developmental disabilities; seniors; those with neurologic issues such as stroke, Parkinson’s disease, and autism; early childhood music; and community wellness.
We anticipate many clients in long term care settings as well as individuals with developmental disabilities resuming sessions put on hold due to COVID soon. We are also anticipating growth in ability to serve older adults in private homes, individuals with Parkinson’s, and individuals with developmental disabilities. As we will be gradually building your caseload, we can try to recruit clients that match your individual areas of interest and expertise.
Two unique programs developed by Living Spirit Therapy Services include the:
Our Empowering Wellness Initiative is a web-based tool to support community mental and physical health.
Our Gather and Grow series provides monthly opportunities for continuing education, networking, resources sharing, and community building.
Living Spirit Therapy Services is committed to decreasing prejudice and increasing equity in access to services to support overall quality of life and well-being. Visit our website to learn more about the actions we are taking towards this.
This would be a great fit if you are someone who:
- Has the desire to learn and grow both professionally and personally
- Is a strong and open communicator
- Is open minded and excited by the opportunity to try new things
- Is able to structure time independently in a home office setting
- Thrives in an environment in which you can be creative and innovative
- Has a passion for music therapy and the clients you work with
- Is open to feedback and ideas
- Is flexible and adaptable
- Aligns with organizational values
- Enjoys working both independently and with a team
- Has a positive attitude
- Is open to virtual or in person sessions at this time
- Has strong musical skills and ability to adapt music to meet client’s immediate needs
This would not be a good fit for you if:
- You are not willing to take and maintain NMT training
- Do not feel comfortable sharing concerns, ideas, and issues with your supervisor; and/or do not like giving and receiving feedback with a team
- You do not like continuing education
- You are not flexible with what clients you serve
- You need a consistent and predictable schedule day to day
- Have a negative attitude
What do current team members love about their positions with Living Spirit Therapy Services?
- You are valued as yourself and the skills that you come with, and the team is eager to learn from each other and incorporate new ways of doing things into our practice. If there is something that you want to try out with your clients or with something that you do with the position, the team is supportive and wants to learn along with you.
- Monthly meetings for reflection on personal and professional goals.
- Monthly opportunities for continuing growth and development during team meetings, and monthly Gather and Grow Series.
- I love the support of a team and team meetings, and to have someone to share my highs and lows with. I can reach out if I need help or have questions about a certain session/intervention/goal. We learn from each other! We all have different strengths and build each other up!
- I love that I am able to bring up topics I would like to learn more about, as well as to explore ideas for future projects or opportunities for the company.
- Amazing, detailed, and individualized supervision and support from my supervisor and the whole team.
- I greatly appreciate that my supervisor is attentive to my needs as an employee and music therapist, and that she promotes wellness among all members of our team.
- The NMT training is amazing- absolutely worth the cost. The NMT model will really enhance the way you practice music therapy, AND just because you adopt the NMT model and specific techniques does not mean you are now JUST practicing NMT, you come with your eclectic and own learned background and philosophies that make the whole team stronger!
- Opportunities for creativity with making videos and resources for the Empowering Wellness Initiative and supporting materials for clients and participants.
- AMAZING access to instruments and other resources!
- Lots of autonomy in the position – amazing position to grow and become the best music therapist that you can
- Flexibility for preferred times for sessions.
- Flexibility with hours as far as when you complete tasks outside of sessions.
- I love that there are opportunities to work with clients in various settings. I appreciate that my supervisor is interested in and puts forth so much effort to match me with clients I am passionate about working with.
- Most importantly I love being a music therapist and the clients I work with.
- Board Certified Music Therapist, holding the MT-BC credential
- NMT trained, or be willing to complete the next NMT training, must maintain standing (i.e. complete the Fellowship after 3 years as a NMT)
- Have outstanding time management and organizational skills
- Be self-motivated, and able to work independently
- Drive throughout the metro area for sessions, up to 60-minutes one way. Typical drive lengths are 15-30 minutes one way and occur immediately following most sessions.
- Maintain focus, sustained attention, rapidly alternating attention, and executive functioning during all clinical and administrative tasks including but not limited to driving, treating clients, and documenting sessions. Session lengths for clients are 30- to 60- consecutive minutes.
- Move freely and safely from sit to stand from chair and/or floor, stand to squat, and vice versa.
- Maintain balance demonstrating leg and arm movements from standing and seated positions, frequently move throughout the room, change positioning as described above, and turn head frequently from seated and standing positions to assess client needs and maintain attention and engagement.
- Be able to maintain a high level of energy to stimulate and engage groups of low functioning clients.
- Recognize signs of and respond quickly to any behavioral or balance challenges, or over stimulation of clients.
- Recognize the need for additional prompting and cueing for clients to be successful; and provide the necessary visual, tactile, verbal, and auditory prompts needed for success.
- Be able to lift instruments and session materials in and out home and car and carry and/or pull them utilizing a cart to and from sessions. Be able to lift 50 lbs maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects up to 25 lbs.
- 3 weeks of paid personal leave + birthdays off
- Mileage reimbursement at the current full federal rate
- $200 continuing education stipend plus 1 paid continuing education day
- 1:1 supervision, and team meetings
- 50% of AMTA, MTAM, and CB-MT dues
- $20 data reimbursement per month for full in person caseloads
- Work specific email and online and desktop versions of office 365
- Access to an extensive supply of instruments and materials to do your job well
- Access to a comprehensive electronic catalogue of resources such as music, session ideas and supplemental materials, articles and research, materials to help enhance your technique with a variety of instruments and interventions…
- A team of music therapists to work collaborate with
How do I apply?
Interested candidates should submit resume and cover letter to Melissa Spiess, M.M., MT-BC, Neurologic Music Therapy Fellow at email@example.com or contact Melissa at 651-363-3936 for more information.
In your cover letter please state why you want to join the Living Spirit Therapy Services, LLC team; identify your personal and professional core values and what they mean to you; and why you believe you would be a good fit for this team.
Please also send a video of yourself playing:
- Something to help calm someone who is anxious or agitated
- Something to stimulate someone who is lower functioning
- Something to facilitate specific movements (PSE or TIMP)
- A voice exercise you might use for someone with Parkinson’s
- Something to showcase your instrumental skills
- Something to showcase your vocal skills
Please submit all materials to firstname.lastname@example.org